Monday 12 January 2009

Rosemary's Baby

rosemarys_baby

Flicking around on Saturday night and Rosemary's baby came on film4. It had just stared so we sat and watched it. Rosemary's Baby is one of those films I was convinced I'd seen but as I started to watch it was all new to me, it turned out to be  a real treat! I found myself captivated by Mia Farrows performance and I though for a forty year old film it really had held up well. Its hard to take a film at face value when its a lot older than yourself and you know the history. Mia Farrow to me always brings up Woody Allen movies and his crimes and misdemeanours running off with his adoptive daughter not this perfect horror film.

rosemarys-baby-angels

Everything was great about it, the sinister neighbours, the useless husband, the script was perfect. I looked up some more details on IMDB(aka movie poop shoot.com) and found that Ruth Gordon had won an oscar for best supporting actress which I though was great. I'd only ever remembered her as Clint Eastwood Mum in Every which way but loose/any which way you can. They were my Dads favourite films so I'd seen them many times.

rosemarys-baby-p031

I need to look up more classic horror now to see if my memory is up to scratch. It was like this last year for Shelley when I introduced her to American werewolf in London, one of my favourites when I was kid.

rosemary

The other preconception about Rosemary's Baby is the fact that In the UK Roman Polansky is still wanted for sex with an under age girl which kind of puts me off his work too. Didn't stop winning a libel case the other year though, he just gave evidence by video link so he wouldn't get arrested in the UK.

No comments: