Friday 11 March 2011

The Killing - Forbrydelson



Saturday is almost here and I will get my weekly fix of the killing (forbrydelson) on BBC4. The Danish crime thriller has given the Beeb's smallest channel a genuine hit and some of its best ratings. I read that it was getting higher ratings than AMC's Mad Men got when screened on the channel. Pretty good for a dark subtitled crime thriller set in Copenhagen? Why are we so surprised that other European countries can produce drama to match the greats of HBO on a shoestring budget? Also why are great catches like this tucked away on a niche channel? The Nations dumbing down continues apace a whilst over half a million of us in the know are staying in on a Saturday night to find out who killed Nanna Birk Larson (NBL for the addicts).  AMC are remaking htis for an American audience but I don't think I'll bother as it is the Danish back drop, design, culture and general differences which I enjoy the most. That and Sarah Lund's knitwear , self cleaning jumper which she has had on so long it would put my teenage daughter to shame.

For the uninitiated I suggest you reach for the BBC Iplayer and catch up. No spoilers on here and no spoiler comments please. I genuinely haven't a scooby doo who killed NBL, she was killed in the first 5 minutes of episode 1 and I have lost count of the amount of people I suspected.

A useful selection of links for the Killing:

The BBC site including Iplayer where all 14 episdoes are available to watch

The Guardians (late starting) Killing blog

Buy yourself a Sarah Lund jumper, a snip at 280 Euros

tak for læsning

No comments: