Friday 23 January 2009

The Beta Band Rap

Unloved albums part 1

the-beta-band-500x500

The Beta Band by The Beta Band is such an unloved album that even the band themselves have labelled it 'fucking rubbish'. I have to admit though that this album has stood up well for me over the last ten years or so. I love the originality of it all and the comments by the Beta Band themselves about it being rushed because of label deadlines has always in my mind made it sound more spontaneous and I prefer this to the two later albums.(not that I don't love those too). In the days of single track downloads its nice to listen to an album that is better heard as a whole.

In a 'Bayta' Band on High Fidelity soundtrack tribute style here are my top 5 things about The Beta Band-The Beta Band

1. The Beta Band Rap - aka a short history of the band and how they got signed all wrapped up in an old style radio jingle and then some gritty beats.

2. The acoustic riff and title of broken up a ding dong

3. The speeded up vocals singing 'I'm in Heaven when I see you smile'

4. The bonnie Tyler sample and chorus in 'the hard one'

5. At the end of 'the cows wrong' the whispered line 'and I slipped and fell in dogshit'

No comments: