Saturday 12 February 2011

Egypt

Congratulations to the people of Egypt. I've been watching the events unfold over the last 18 days with a sense of watching history unfold. In 2011 news of what is happening on the ground is no longer confined to biased news reporting or guarded western self interests. A true picture of events can be seen thanks to social media, people filming and modern communications. As for TV news, Al Jazeeras coverage has been second to none and I hope it keeps the extra UK viewers it has gained. Not because I believe that their coverage has any less of an agenda but because they often give a different view from the increasingly irrelevant BBC news, BIG LETTERS FOR THICK PEOPLE ITV NEWS and Murdoch's voice of Sky.

Also I think this image should be used in schools across the world(especially the USA) to demonstrate religious tolerance. I no more believe in a God than I believe that the current Government will lead us to a better and brighter future but I respect your right to believe that the earth is 4 thousand years old and a man in the sky created it. The fact that the need to kill and maim over centuries due to an inability to agree the details amongst yourselves completely baffles me. It is this image of Christians protecting Muslims whilst they praying that gives me hope that one day you might agree to disagree.

No comments: