Friday 7 January 2011

Chris Bell - I am the Cosmos



As I rule I don't take film recommendations from my Daughter. She enjoys films like twilight and romantic comedies with Sandra Bullock or Jennifer Lopez in. so it came as a suprise to watch one that had slipped me by and was a genuine indie gem. Nick and Norah's infinite play-list is a pretty enjoyable coming of age kind of film with Michael Cera playing the agreeable teen that he always is (and no doubt is in real life) and is definitely worth a watch. The main draw for me was the soundtrack and over the opening credits it took me a while to realise that it was Chris Bells Speed of sound that was playing and the next day I returned to what is undoubtedly a lost gem of an album.

Chris Bell for those not in the know was one half of the songwriting partnership of Big Star. After the undisputed classic first album came out to across the wall rave reviews it tanked due to label problems and distribution issues. The band imploded, after all what was the point of writing a classic album if nobody listened to it or bought it. He left the band in true rock n roll style with tantrums and fisticuffs. He then spent the remainder of the seventies recording, touring and trying to get a record deal whilst struggling with depression and drug abuse until he was tragically killed on the brink of a come back in a car crash near his home in Memphis in 1978.

He released a 45 with 'I am the cosmos' and 'you and your sister' shortly before his death but the remainder of his recorded output remained unreleased until 1992 when a collection of his solo songs were released as 'I am the Cosmos'. There has since been an expanded, deluxe release of this with more demo's and alternative takes but remains an expensive purchase. Heartbreaking vocals and sparse guitar lines on the title track and 'look up' are highlights with 'you and your sister' getting no less than three different outings. His skills in the studio shine through on some of the tracks and although many are not the finished article the sense of a great talent lost stays with you at the end.

Track Listings
1. I Am The Cosmos
2. Better Save Yourself
3. Speed Of The Sound
4. Get Away
5. You And Your Sister
6. Make A Scene
7. Look Up
8. I Got Kinda Lost
9. There Was A Light
10. Fight At The Table
11. I Don't Know
12. Though I Know She Lies
13. I Am The Cosmos
14. You And Your Sister
15. You And Your Sister

Buy at Amazon

2 comments:

Adam Hill said...

Thanks for drawing attention to Chris Bell's work. You should check out the recent 2CD reissue from Rhino Handmade. You have to order it directly, but it will hopefully be more readily available in the future. Disc 1 has all of Chris's original mixes, and Disc 2 has alternate mixes and extra tracks. The mastering job is dramatic improvement as well.

Ingenuity Lee said...

Thanks Adam. It's on my wishlist, I got the Big Star box set last year and was really impressed with the job rhino did on that.